RCA Missions team to Sneedville, TN returned safely and ahead of schedule last Sunday evening, November 23rd. Not scheduled to arrive home until Monday, the team of 22 students, faculty and friends had accomplished all that they had set out to do despite the rain and cold weather and, so elected to drive home that evening instead of waiting till the following day. When they pulled into the school parking lot around 9:30pm, they were tired but thrilled with what God had allowed them to be a part of in Appalachia!
Teaming with 22 from Friendship Christian (Lebanon, TN), they delivered food for Thanksgiving meals to 47 families in and around the community of Sneedville. In addition they:
- trimmed a tree; cleaned & repaired a shed roof & gutters and re-set the catchment barrel at one home.
- Built a portch ralil & replaced boards at another
- repaired a deck & added a rail
- repaired a living room wall & patched sheet rock
- repaired plumbing in two homes
- replaced an electircla switch, repaired a garage door, installed a new stove & hauled off the old one
- underpinned a home addition and added an access panel to the crawl space
- Cleaned the yard of one family in difficult circumstances
- removed and replaced half of a roof on one home; The weather did not cooperate, but the homeowner was left with materials to complete the job with the assurance from his nephew that he'd have some help!
- Delivered diapers & toys to a family with 18 month old twins and a newborn
- Delivered Christmas gifts to a family with seven adopted children
- Worshipped in three homes on Sunday morning with families
What an amazing experience! Over the next several weeks, we will be asking students to share some of their experiences and how they saw God working through this trip. We thank all of the many supporters & parents who helped make it possible for these students (& friends) to participate and be blessed so abundantly by those we served.